The early history has been compiled from bits and pieces, from conversations with old
members, old newsletters and retained files. The photo history thumbs exhibited on the left side of this page can
be clicked to see a large photo in its own window.
The Wildlife Committee of Washington was incorporated as a Washington State non-profit in the fall of 1945 by a
group who were interested in hunting, fishing and conservation. The club met for many years in various halls in
the North Seattle/Lake City area, until they determined that they needed a permanent home for their meetings and
space for shooting. Dues started at a dollar a year.
The club purchased our current property in 1953. The purchase price of $9,000 was paid off over 10 years, and was
our first and last outside debt. At the time, our 80 acre property was at the end of the road with typical rural
President: 1945,1946,1947,1948-Frank Collins, 1950-Al Rice,
1951,1952-Fred Kelso, 1953-Fred Smith, 1954,1955-Elmer Parsons, 1956,1957-Bruce Bartlett, 1958,1959-Ray Parnell
As the club started developing the property, the local North Seattle archery club, interested in having space for
an archery range, merged into our club. Their first project as our Archery Committee was to develop a 14 target
Field range (walk-thru).
In the mid 50's the club was divided between those members who wanted a 500 yard rifle range and those who wanted
a large social facility. The building of the clubhouse prevailed and many of the long range shooters went a little
farther north to develop their own club, Seattle Rifle and Pistol at Machias. The clubhouse was the first major
facility completed, and several ranges were laid out and roughed in for member shooting.
The original range facilities included a 200 yard rifle range (Range #1) with a true pole building shooting shed
(poles cut from the property) covered with galvanized metal, an second 100 yard range (Range #2) which was open
to the elements, a small uncovered pistol 25/50 yard range (Range #3), and two trap fields with a shotshack (the
Hired a caretaker/rangemaster.
By this time 228th was extended over the hill (the Nike missile site was on the top of the hill) and paved.
President: 1960-Wayne Bishop, 1961-Gerard Loupe, 1962-Cliff
Aldrich, 1963-Ted Zennan, 1964,1965- Dick Smith, 1966,1967-Don Power, 1968,1969-William Rae
In 1962 work was started on the archery flat range. By 1965 the club was holding National Team selection matches
on the upper range.
Several of the members in charge recognized that the land around the club would be developed and they investigated
ways to make our activities compatible. As a test of techniques used in Europe, the club added safety features
to Range #3 (pistol). The main safety features were down range baffles which would stop an accidental discharge
from leaving the range.
With typical club funding, projects during this period took a long time as member volunteers were the sole available
option and the ability to purchase the necessary materials was a problem. Annual dues by this time were $12.50
and they were raised to $17.50 to generate more funds for the pending projects.
The completed pistol range proved successful and it was decided to apply the same techniques to the rifle ranges.
While wanting to protect the range both from safety liability hazards and also from committing the land to debt,
the club went back to the membership with a bond issue. The members invested in $50 club bonds paying 4.5% annual
cash interest. The structures on Range #2 were built with the funds generated by these bonds. The bonds were redeemed
after 10 years and retired in the mid 80's.
Moved the range public business office from the front gate to range office.
About 1968 the club realized that the shot from the trap fields was leaving the property and decided to relocate
the shotgun facility to it's present location. All in all the next 5 years were very busy, completing the pistol
range, range #2, a range office, and constructing a new shotgun facility. The first shotgun building was the portable
school room which is still in use.
Hired a shotgun manager and trappers.